by Erika Oliver, Interactive Design, Development & UX Agent at Aquent
The holidays are over and the New Year celebrations are behind us. Now that we’ve taken down the garland and put away those festive lights, it’s time to focus on goals for 2013. For people who are unemployed, freelancing or looking for a change in companies, their New Year resolution may be to find the perfect job in 2013. To achieve that resolution, the staffing experts at Aquent pulled together the top seven tips about how job seekers can stay focused on the job hunt this winter.
- Refresh your resume: Reformatting and redesigning a resume is one way to stand out to potential employers and show off your experience.
- Grab some endorsements: Ask former colleagues to endorse your skills on LinkedIn and be sure to endorse them as well – both are ways to get noticed by new networks and build industry relationships.
- Tweet to impress: Create a professional Twitter handle where you can reach out to industry influencers and hiring managers in a unique way.
- Complete your online profile: Make sure your LinkedIn profile is 100% complete to provide hiring managers with a full overview of your expertise.
- Test out free trainings: Search for and sign up for free, online trainings, such as MOOC (massive open online course) classes, to hone in on your talents and add in-demand skills to your resume.
- Repost your resume to the online job boards: Repost your most recent resume on Monster, Career Builder and Indeed.com. By doing so, you may improve your odds of being considered for your next targeted position based upon your updated skills and latest experience.
- Update your online portfolio: Have a new project or product that has launched? Make sure to add it to your online portfolio sites, such as Krop, Behance, Coroflot. Be sure to highlight your latest work if it showcases your experience in a new industry.
For those active job seekers, it’s important to find ways to stay motivated this winter. Make a New Year resolution to land your dream job and use the above tips to help keep you inspired along the way!
In her current role at Aquent, Erika represents the most elite interactive, UX, front-end development, print, and online marketing talent from the Midwest to the Eastern Seaboard. She is always looking for new ways to connect with industry trends, emerging technologies, top-tier talent and the people who hire them.
Want to attract new clients or a potential employer? Learn how to integrate social media into your website the right way with a Live Design Tutorial on January 31 at 1 pm EST.
A few sharing icons and your latest tweets are not enough to integrate social media with your website. Users will have a disjointed experience as they move between channels, and your efforts to develop a social media content strategy will be undermined. In this live design tutorial, Paul Boag will help you discover what’s possible. With a website that plays nicely with social media you can increase customer retention, deepen engagement, and take advantage of the opportunity to convert a content consumer into a participant of the broader community you’re creating around your brand.