Graphic Design Job Of The Day: Art Director (HOW Magazine, Cincinnati, OH)
Looking for a magazine design job? HOW is hiring an experienced art director.
The Art Director is responsible for all aspects of the design and production of HOW’s six bi-monthly issues in addition to the magazine’s collateral materials, such as promotional/marketing digital and print pieces. Will work closely with the editorial department to arrive at content and to determine the visual form it will take.
Additional responsibilities include:
1. Design and produce a bi-monthly print magazine and the digital edition
2. Hire and direct photographers and illustrators working within the budget
3. Contribute to the content planning of the magazine and work closely with the editors to improve copy flow and design clarity for readers
4.Contribute to program planning for the HOW Design Conference and participate as a host of the event among other duties
5. Judge and help facilitate HOW’s competitions
6. Represent HOW at various design-industry events
7. Contribute to the HOW website and social media outlets
This position requires strong conceptual skills coupled with sound design and type principles. Good communication skills, written and verbal, are invaluable given the level of interaction with a variety of areas such as edit, advertising, the publisher, prepress house, printer, contributors, etc. Given the small size of the art department, the deadlines, volume of art handled and the wide range of responsibilities, a strong ability to organize is a must. Required software skills include InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, and MS Office. An understanding of web capabilities and the translation from print to web is a plus.
Looking to hire a designer? Post your job listing on HOWdesign.com.